Friday, June 13, 2014

A Surprise Engagment


This week I got to take an exciting trip to Portland. 
It seems that I go to Portland a lot lately, but when your two best friends live there it makes a lot of sense to want to be there all the time. 

I didn't know until Saturday that I'd even be going to Portland at all. 
Last week I got a call from Mel saying that there was going to be a surprise engagment for my lovely friend Ashley, but finances are tight and there was just no way it could work for us. 

Now, Ashleys mom Bonnie has always amazed me with how she hears almost direct, penned out messages straight from God. I had been praying for Ashley and the whole event, and just asking God to make a way for me to be there. On Saturday morning I got a text from Bonnie saying that she knew God wanted me to be there, and that she was going to fund it. Tears flooded my eyes. My heart started racing. I quickly called Mel out of pure joy! I'm still kind of in disbelief that it all happened the way it did. 

God is listening, people. 

I flew up to Portland on Tuesday morning. The plan was for their friends and family to be waiting at one of their favorite restauraunts and golf clubs near where they live in Hillsboro, Oregon. Steve told Ash to get dressed up nicely because he wanted to take her to a nice lunch. Of course, on a nice day you want to sit outside, so as we all nervously stood at the end of the deck with cameras in one hand and champagne in the other, out they come. I get teary again just thinking about it. 
The moment she saw all of us standing there!
Ok, now I'm crying again.

After Ashley saw all of us and got past the shock, Steve got down on one knee and asked her for forever. 
 I tried to take more pictures right after, but I was shaking too much and they came out all blury. 
Surprised? Me neither. 

The rest of the afternoon included much celebrating, picture taking, and ring examining. 

Mel and I welcomed her into the blingy ring club. 


And her bridesmaids were showing her how responsible they can be at her wedding.



Mel and I had the opportunity to take Ashley out, just the three of us, after lunch knowing that I would only be in town for a few more hours.
We went to McMenamins and did some more celebrating and chatting about marriage, life, and all of the wonderful things to come for the both of them.


And Ash did some more ring examining because hey, that thing is distracting!


This trip was such a special whirlwind.
I am overjoyed for Ashley and Steve, and am so excited for their future together. And let's be honest, those babies are going to be CUTE. 



I head back up to Portland in just a few weeks for Mels bridal shower, and then a few weeks after that for her wedding! This summer is going to be the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment