Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sunday Morning Virtual Coffee Date

It's been a while since I've done a "coffee date" post...

So, if we were go out to coffee on this lovely, crisp, Sunday morning I would probably wobble in - order a decaf vanilla latte and smile as I slowly lowered my very pregnant self into the chair across from you. I would tell you that no - I don't only drink decaf, but that I've been up since 5am and had my first real cup shortly after my eyes opened.

I would smile and answer politely the same questions I'm a little sick of answering these days -- but that's ok, I know it's just because you care. Yes, we are excited. No, I haven't had any major labor signs quite yet, though I do have regular braxton hicks contractions. Yes, I'm uncomfortable, crabby and ready to have Felix here. Mostly because I want my body back but I'm sure that won't matter when I see his little face. Yes, we are still planning a fully natural labor -- and no I don't think I will give in to the meds. Mostly because my husband says he wont take me to the hospital until I'm practically ready to push. I'm just happy he's actually supportive...I'm getting tired of people telling me that I'm completely insane for wanting a natural birth. That being said, I'll report back on how that all goes. And yes, I know I don't get a medal for going natural.

Yes, life is about to change drastically. It's hard to say how easy that adjustment will be. I have fears, yes. Fears that it wont feel natural to be a mom. Fears that my relationship with Seth will change, will be more difficult, will take more work. I worry about silly things like the kitty suffocating our little boy. I worry that breastfeeding will be really difficult. But I'm excited at the same time. Excited for a new chapter, a new blessing, a new door that God is walking us through.

I'm excited about what God is doing in us. I'm excited to see what the next few months holds. Becoming deacons and neighborhood group leaders. Being challenged more in our roles as husband and wife, mom and dad. Meeting and befriending other newlyweds and new parents.

I would attempt small talk at this point. So much of the focus seems to be on my life lately that I am eager to hear about other peoples lives and other events!

I would tell you that Penelope and I have gotten particularly familiar with each other now that I am home a lot. I have discovered that she sleeps all...day...long. I would tell you that she likes to hang out on our bed acting cute. Or on the couch being cute. Or sometimes in the shower being cute. I would also tell you about the stray kitty that she fiercely attacks through the window every time he's on our porch -- it's the most excitement she gets during the day so I try to not let the moaning and the bonking of her paws hitting the window bother me too much.


I would tell you that we saw Captain Phillips last night at the movies. It was fantastic. And thrilling. And I practically bit a hole in my lip. I would tell you that almost all of the previews looked really good and that I hope Seth and I can score some date nights in the next few months to see all of the new great movies. Maybe you would volunteer to watch our little man while we go out? Maybe.

I would tell you that I'm reading John Piper's 'This Momentary Marriage', and how it is a wonderful, wonderful book about marriage, the church, and the beautiful mystery that is marriage. I would encourage you wherever you are at -- single, married, divorced -- to read it and soak it all in.

I would tell you that I've already decorated for Christmas -- not entirely because we don't have a tree up yet -- but that our house got all Christmasified last week -- mostly because I'm afraid it will never get done if I don't do it now.

We might talk about Obamacare, because, well that's a hot topic and you know I have an opinion about it. I would shake my head in disappointment of the whole situation. What a mess. Those who are losing their insurance could outnumber those who couldn't get coverage before -- and those who are able to "keep" their insurance have premiums that have been quadrupled. The worst part to me is the money hungry hospitals and insurance companies. The government isn't helping a whole lot but the fact that health care seems to be this countries biggest money maker is disgusting. I saw an "investigative report" story on the news yesterday, people are starting to ask about hospitals and their ridiculous billing systems -- IT'S ABOUT TIME. $87 for purified water? Give me a break, people. I'd get off my soapbox and return back to reality -- knowing that I have absolutely no control over the situation but sometimes one just needs to blow off steam.

I would ask in between about your life. Ask you what your favorite part of the holiday season is. What you are most thankful for. We might discuss theology, and Christmas, and hopefully Jesus -- I'm trying to get better at that. I would give you a hug and wish we could do this more often, and ask what I could be praying for your for.

I would slowly get up -- readjust my pants which have probably fallen way lower than they need to.
I would probably go pee -- maybe for the 4th time since we've been sitting down.
I would grab an ice water as I'm walking out the door, because pregnancy means there is absolutely no means to control body temperature.
I would smile through the urge to hit everyone that stares at me as I wobble out the door.

On the drive home I would pray. I would mostly be thanking God for a friend I could share all of these things with. I have discovered that in the past year my friendships have changed so, so much -- mostly with women. That transition has been hard and it's cause me to do a lot of soul searching and changing. I do a lot more tongue holding, thinking through my words, and pride swallowing. I've been trying to be more like Jesus in my relationships -- because the best way to be a witness is to actually walk your talk, because my walk talks louder than my talk ever talks.

I would pray for more grace. More recognition of it on my end -- and more ceaseless extending on His. The latter is really unnecessary but more for peace of mind.

I would drive back home, settle back in on the couch with a cup of third trimester get-this-baby-the-heck-out-tea. I would have my crochet work in my lap, and the TV remote in the other, recognizing that I may fall asleep during said activities -- and for now, that is perfectly ok with me.



2 comments:

  1. What a lovely coffee date that would be! Hopefully one day, maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing coffee date <3 btw natural birth... You got this girl! I did it twice. Sending lots of hugs, love and prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete