Monday, September 16, 2013

One to Remember

This past weekend Seth and I had our one year anniversary. I was determined to make it special, not that it wouldn't be special all on its own, but extra special considering how much our lives will be changing in the next couple of months. 

Being the total sap that I am, I decided to start with something that would make me cry if I attempted it. A couple months ago while driving in my car listening to the radio, the song that we shared our first dance to as a married couple came on. Jason Mraz's "I won't give up" played and I got all emotional thinking about our wedding night. Then I thought, how about for our anniversary I learn how to play the guitar and sing that song to Seth? Well, my growing belly quickly nixed the idea of me learning to play the guitar -- but I had a better plan. Our worship leader and friend Colin is an awesome guitar player, and he so happens to be dating my amazing friend Sonja. Now, I know Sonja is a total sap too -- so if I convinced her to help me carry out my plan than surely she could convince Colin to learn the song and perform it with me. It didn't take much convincing for either of them, thankfully. I cried through writing the text message telling Sonja about my master plan -- I cried for the two months prior just thinking about it and singing it to myself in my car. I cried every time I tried to write out my little spiel for Seth at the beginning of the song. I cried trying to tell people about the plan. I cried in the middle of the song when I sang it too him -- but only because he was crying first. 

Our good friends Chad and Karen happen to own a coffee shop that does open mic nights every month. I thought this would be the perfect location to bring Seth to, he would have no idea what was going on and we would be surrounded by people that we love. On Friday night before our anniversary the next day I told Seth that we had dinner plans but that Colin had written a new song that he was performing at Open Mic night and wanted some moral support. Genius. He had no suspicions whatsoever, at least none that he vocalized. I decided a few hours earlier that I couldn't get up and say anything before the song without crying, so I let Karen introduce Colin and I. Seth just so happened to be sitting front and center, which would have been great if he wasn't so attractive; but I was distracted by him the whole time which made me watch his face, which made me absolutely fall apart when I saw the tears. 


I almost made it to the end of the song.
Almost. 
On the final verse I broke -- which was ok. It was perfectly messy and beautiful. Just how it should have been since it was probably the mushiest and most daring thing I've ever done for him. 
I continued to cry for the next 20 minutes. Because hey I'm pregnant and have the right to cry all the time, and I was a little overwhelmed at the idea that I just pulled that off. 
After we stayed a few more performances Seth and I left for dinner. 
We went to our favorite Italian restaurant in Morgan Hill called Maurizios.
Seriously people, it's the best Italian food in America you will ever eat in your life -- do yourself a favor and drive from wherever you live to eat there. You won't be sorry. 
I may have given Seth this insanely funny card. 
It was particularly fitting for our lives this past year with my job. 
I had a serious card too -- just incase he didn't get the seriousness of my love for him with this card. 
:)

On Saturday morning, our actual anniversary we started with cake. 
I had the top tier of our wedding cake re-made by our baker in the flavor that we didn't get to try from the wedding. 
White chocolate, peanut butter, roasted peanuts and fudge. Yum, yum, yum and yum. 


We both ate a slice as Seth gave me his card. 
Seth is anything but traditional when it comes to card giving and I was sobbing after reading the dang envelope. Mostly out of laughter, but also at the fact that I married the sweetest man for me.
By the time I got through the actual card I was a legitimate mess. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though, sometimes a lady needs her husband to remind her of how much he loves her and make her cry her eyes out. It was beautiful and funny -- a pretty accurate description of the way that he loves me. 

After cake & tears we packed up and headed down south. Our plan was to head to Hearst Castle before checking into our hotel in Pismo beach. 
Hearst did not disappoint -- it just didn't impress as much as I'd hoped. They were setting up for a big fundraiser that day so people were rushed and distracted, we also somehow missed seeing the outside pools in our attempt to find our way back to the bus which is the most advertised part of the castle. I'm pretty bummed we missed that part as we probably won't be back there for many years. Here's the only snapshot I got of one of the ceilings in the grand room. I love old antiquey things like that, all of the rooms that we saw were eclectic and unique -- totally my taste!

After Hearst we were both exhausted and headed to the hotel.
We checked into our beach front hotel right around 5. It was foggy all the way down, and stayed foggy the entire time we were there. It made me a little sad. I thought about writing to the hotel to see if we could get a foggy discount on our stay. Fat chance, right?
The best part of the hotel was definitely the jacuzzi on the porch. Our very own private jacuzzi!
I dutifully turned down the temperature so it was safe for baby and me right when we arrived so it had time to cool off for after dinner.

We relaxed for a while and then went to dinner at an Italian place in downtown Pismo. The wait was over an hour long, so we hung out at the bar & got an appetizer before our meal. The food was super yummy, and my company was even better. 

I wish we could have stayed longer in beautiful Pismo beach. 
The next morning we slept in, hung out in the jacuzzi again, and spent a little time on the beach before heading home. 
Here's a view of our hotel from the beach. 


It was a great little trip. A time to relax and forget life for a day & a half.
Because we started moving the following Monday - and then life got all chaotic again. 
Right now I'm typing from our new place.
It is cozy and awesome. Also FULL to the brim with stuff. 
I will slowly be going through and getting rid of furniture in the next few weeks, which is hard to do...but there is no other way to make this place livable than to get rid of some furniture. 
My favorite part is that it is free of spiders...and mice. Did I mentioned we had a mouse problem in the last couple of weeks at our old place? Yea, that was a fun discovery. 
It is also a great place to build community, we have already met a few of our neighbors and they are fun. We also have a pool, hot tub, workout room, working internet (trust me it's a novelty to us), and we are within walking distance of a ton of stuff. YAY. 

I'll be back to tell you more about our new place soon.
Once all the crap is cleared out of the way and has a home. 
But know for now that we feel incredibly blessed.
Blessed to have each other -- and to be married. 
Blessed to have friends and family that helped us move.
Blessed to have a really awesome new roof over our heads. 
God is good. 





No comments:

Post a Comment