Thursday, September 5, 2013

Mama White's Epic Granola

My bestie Melissa frequently raved about her mama's special granola when we were in college.

All granola in her eyes was subpar in comparison. And I kind of rolled my eyes. Because it didn't have added sugar. And I was am an added sugar kind of girl. 

But you guys. You don't need the added sugar with this stuff. It's that good. 

When I was visiting a couple weeks ago I got to have her mama's granola as much as I wanted, it was glorious. She happily printed out the recipe and I finally got to make it last night.  And I must say over the years I've really come to appreciate Melissa and her families clean way of eating, I even tried her super crunchy nut whole stuff bread which I thought I would automatically hate, and now I can't wait to buy it at Costco the next time I'm there. 

I know I'm kind of breaking the rules, because this isn't from Pinterest but it will be going on Pinterest as soon as I hit publish -- because the world needs to know how good this stuff is. 

Here is the original recipe, and my not so clear or well staged ingredients shot:


8 heaping cups of old fashioned oats
2 T cinnamon
4 cups chopped nuts & seeds (I used almonds, pecans & walnuts)
2 cups of flaked or curled coconut (I couldn't find curled so I went with flakey) -- and by the way, I HATE coconut but you cannot taste it in this at all, it just adds texture!
1.5 cups dried Cranberries (craisins)
1.5 cups fresh Dates (I could only find dried so I went with chopped & dried)
1 cup Molasses
1 cup Honey
2 T Vanilla

Disclaimer: You can honestly add whatever the heck you want in this recipe. Melissa's mom uses pumpkin seeds which is super tasty, you could also add different types of nuts like pine nuts! Try raisins, dried fruits like blueberries or raspberries, or make it extra healthy with flax seed or chia seeds...or whatever healthy bird type food you people eat these days.

Preheat your oven to 385*

 Grab a large bowl, and I mean LARGE -- combine all dry ingredients. 

Get slightly overwhelmed at how much  stuff you just added to said very large bowl...
and then add your wet ingredients.
I mixed all the molasses first, then the honey and finally the vanilla.


Spread into a 9x13 baking dish..
or two. 


Bake for 24 minutes, stirring every 8 minutes.
Let the smell of Christmas hang throughout your entire house,
and let cool on a cookie sheet or parchment paper until ready to package up. 

If our kitchen stuff wasn't in boxes right now I probably would have used an airtight jar or glass container, but 2 gallon ziplock bags will work for now.
You will have granola for days. 
And all of those days will be happy. 
Because this granola is bomb.com


Now go and pin this. Then make it. 
And shout a big thank you to Mama White. 
Isn't this family the cutest?




2 comments:

  1. this is awesome. and might be the perfect thing to make my dad for christmas.
    can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to try this. I'm obsessed with fruit and granola in greek yogurt. I feel like this is WAYY better than Target brand. Thanks for linking up, mama! ;)

    ReplyDelete