Thursday, June 20, 2013

Pintertest Success: Mozzarella Chicken Roll Ups

It's been a while since I last cooked for my husband.
I mean really cooked.
Not taco salad, 
or throwing a pizza in the oven,
or making sandwiches.

Being pregnant + 6 months of working nights = a wife who forgot how to cook.
Seth has been the best the last few months, surprising me with dinner when I get home late at night and never complaining about my lack of food in the house.

Now that I'm only working one actual night during the week I don't have any excuse. This week was my first real weak transitioning into my new work schedule. I decided on Tuesday that I would make Seth a fantastic meal, start to finish. A protein, a side, and just for fun some cookies too.

I had recently pinned this, which looked fresh and delicious and best of all, easy:

Chicken Mozzarella Rollups

Looks reasonably easy right? I've made chicken cordon bleu before so how hard could it be?!
I was right, this recipe is super easy -- and super delicious too. 

You will need:
4 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
12 large, fresh basil leaves, rinsed and patted dry. 
4 pieces roasted red pepper (from a jar), about 2 inches by 5 inches rinsed and patted dry
4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1.5 cups canned, plain tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 375*

Start with the chicken breasts pounded out to about 1/4 inch. Or just by thin sliced chicken breast like I did.

Add a few basil leaves to cover the breast.


Add one large piece of red pepper.


Also add some cheese on top ( I forgot to take photo) -- just enough to fill the middle and not have it fall out. 

Secure with tooth picks.


Place in glass pyrex dish. 

Pour tomato sauce and fill the bottom of the pan about 1/2 inch up. 

Place in the preheated over for 30 minutes.

When finished take out of oven and top off with mozzarella, broil for 3 minutes. 

I made this dish with spaghetti and used the leftover sauce on the bottom!
It was a big hit with Seth and I loved it too. 
The basil made the whole dish taste very fresh, and the peppers added a little zest.
I would definitely make this again and again!


I hope to be cooking more often - but I have to admit, it is awesome having Seth cook these days. He is a great cook and picks out some delicious recipes. 

Here is the link to the original recipe. 

I know I'm very late linking up to the party, but better late than never :)

xo




1 comment:

  1. these sound really delish. and like something i would make.
    YUM.
    adding to my to do list.

    ReplyDelete