Friday, February 8, 2013

Meeting Jesus at the Hookah Lounge

Today has been a really hard day. I spent most of the afternoon scrubbing my entire house down with bleach while Seth bathed Penelope in medicated shampoo. P has ringworm, poor little one has it everywhere. I could choose to be discouraged right now. I could choose to let this sad situation get to me, but God has been far to good to us lately to let this bother me.

Hold up. God is always good, I however am not, but am definitely more aware of Him and His goodness lately. Praise Him for that. 

"Rejoice in the Lord always, again I will say rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near." Philippians 4:5

Seth and I have been smoking hookah together since we first got together. Literally the first time we hung out as friends we were smoking hookah. For some reason there is a stigma surrounding hookah in the regular "Christian" circles we are in. I'm not exactly sure why...maybe because its tobacco people assume its addictive? I don't know. Nor do I care, because friends, God tends to work his way into our conversations with people when we are smoking hookah. I kid you not.  

Seth and I have joked before how God is using this unique activity that we partake in pretty regularly to use it for his glory. I have never been more convinced of this idea until these last couple days. 

Wednesday night I called Seth on my lunch break, and he asked if there was anything I wanted to do that night. I mentioned hookah, we like to meet there when I'm off of work..its the perfect way to relax and end the day, so we agreed to see each other there around 9:45. It wasn't too busy that night so we sat by ourselves on one end of the lounge. After a comedic run in with a random lounger in the bathroom, I laughed on my way back to my seat and didn't think anything of it. Little did I know, "Paul" (name changed just in case), came right up to us and invited us to sit with him and his friend because he thought we looked like cool people.

Never passing up an opportunity to meet new people in our little town, Seth and I moved our hookah on over to their couch. Within 5 minutes of sitting down Paul had told us how his friend had recently died in his arms from an overdose of some kind, probably opiates, and how he was now going through such an emotionally distressing time from it and that our small little town had some pretty horrible rumors going around about him. 

We talked all night about how God had used our funny little interaction outside the bathroom to make us all into friends. At one point he said "I don't know if you guys believe in God or anything, but he totally wanted us to meet." 

 "For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude  for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer." 1 Timothy 4:4

Seth and I just smiled at each other. Full well knowing that we were meant to meet him, to befriend him, to PRAY for him, possibly to invite us to neighborhood group maybe even to church, perhaps to be the hands and feet of Jesus as He draws Paul to Himself. 

As we were leaving Seth asked Paul what we could be praying for for him. Seth didn't tell me about this conversation until we got home. Since we had taken separate cars, I prayed out loud for Paul on my way home. When I asked Seth what Paul had asked for..I got the chills. Word for word, his prayers were what I had prayed aloud for on my way home. You guys, when we don't have words...HE gives us them. When we don't even know what to pray for, more than likely He has already put the words into our hearts and mouths. 

I know this relationship with Paul is growing, I know God will use it for His glory. I know God is working when we seem to do nothing.

How much more could He do IN and THROUGH us if we put forth a little more effort? The effort that he deserves for the LOVE He gives that we most certainly do not deserve. 

God is crazy good you guys.
CRAZY good.



1 comment:

  1. so awesome, Jamestown. Love stories like this, and am so encouraged by you and Seth's missional mindset in your new community... and allowing God to "mess up" your plans with His better ones. love you!

    ReplyDelete